28 February 2010

Travel Palette - Schmincke


Selected palette in the tin









Schmincke Travel Palette Guide
This Schmincke Travel Palette was designed to take 12 half pans of paint. I managed to fit in 24! It was a struggle to even limit myself to this number, but I have learnt some valuable things about pigments and mixes during my tests for the final choice.
I’ve read what every man and his dog has to say about choosing a palette, but in the end it comes down to two things: keep the pigments simple so you can mix just about everything you need; and put in a couple of colours that you love, just because they make you happy.
I mainly looked for the purest pigments, good mixing ability, with a good range of warms & cool colours, plus some good earth tones. The yellow choices were easy; the blues caused me concern and much deliberation; the reds created the most difficulty with lots of mixing trials.
My only indulgences are Naples Yellow Reddish because it’s great for skin and I can’t be bothered mixing it, and Ultramarine Violet – just because I like it. I left my favourite Rose Madder out, and hope that Carmine Red will help me out when I need a beautiful soft pink.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

congratulations and with time to spare