17 February 2010

Making A Leather Notebook

I decided to make a leather covered travel notebook as a precursor to making a sketchbook travel journal.  I have never worked with leather as a book cover, so I wanted to try it out.  I also wanted to experiment with closures, pockets and binding methods.  On the spur of the moment, I decided to take photographs as I went – I used my little handbag Lumix camera, and didn’t think to check the settings first.  Unfortunately, some of the photos are blurred but I am merely sharing my record of the exercise.
001aA bit of planning  007Measuring the spine  004Which possum skin? 008Testing a closure
010 Cutting layout 014 End cover fabric  029Attaching the closure  026Checking the fit
034Flap stitched in place 036 Planning the stitching 038 Piercing the spine 045Attaching the folios
046 Glueing loose ties 063 Flat out End2From the side End3Voila!

3 comments:

Alison Furminger said...

Diane, your leather travel book looks wonderful!

Alison Furminger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Di said...

Hi Alison and thank you so much for dropping by!