12 March 2011

Book Binding Experiment

I made this 140mm x 140mm leather journal at a recent workshop.  The leather cover was not firm enough for my liking so I unbound it.  I strengthened the pink leopard fabric by ironing Applifix to it and then a layer of pelmet vilene.  The buttons were sewn to the spine and the plaited elastic band was sewn to a piece of flat binding then glued along the back cover.  Next, the stiffened fabric was glued to the leather using EVA.  The experimental bit was the rebinding of the sections back in to the cover, and the red headbands – very much a Design-As-You-Go process that I couldn’t put down on paper if I tried.  Quite happy with the result though.  And the closure was my idea.

100_5304 Button Binding 2 Button Binding 4 Button Binding 3

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Wow that looks way tidy and exact, so good looking.